Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Wandering City

Lucia ended up with a knight in shining armor, in the Court of the Eldricth Princess, and I drifted further East eventually, reaching Avalon after some time.  It was a crisp Winter morning, and myself and some Druids were drinking mulled wine laced with mistletoe extract when the word reached us that the star-galleon had reappeared in the sky, after almost one hundred years.  My Druid pals were much excited, since the star-galleon was legendary for bringing the most exotic treasures, products, potions, magics, tales, novelties and what not.....Quite a crowd assembled at the Fairgrounds, where the star-sailors were wont to come down to ground, flying in what looked to me like something out of an old Buck Rogers serial movie....Well, I didn't know if the star-galleon could ever get me back to Los Angeles, but I found out it could get me somewhere other than the Land of Nod, so I signed up as an apprentice deck-hand, and we rocketed up from Avalon to the orbiting galleon, and sailed away into the vastness of Space.  I learned that the star-sailors did not have the trick of faster than light travel, but did know how to use a reality keel and dark energy sails to whisk their vessel up to around three-quarters light-speed, which is pretty darned fast.  Fast enough for the time-dilation factor to enter into the equation, so that in the months of my first voyage, years reeled by back in Nod, or in L.A. for that matter.  So I was truly traveling in Time, as well as Space.  We angled across one arm of our spiral galaxy, on a bearing to intercept the Wandering City.....

No comments: