Saturday, March 28, 2009

Big Black Car

There was a big black car waiting at the curb, the back door opened, and the lady asked me to get in, so I did.  The door shut, and the car merged into traffic and picked up speed, heading into a freeway tunnel.  The lady who had bailed me out looked to be an older Chinese woman, very well dressed, with her hair done up that way with the chop-sticks stuck through it, you know what I mean.  She looked at me sideways for a minute, and then flipped down a keyboard out of the back of the front seat.  The screen came on, and she punched a few keys, and asked "First name?"  "Walter" I answered..."Walter Matthew Dodge."  She typed that in.  "Place of birth?"  "Los Angeles, California."  "And date of birth?"  "June 13, 1948."  She finished inputting the data, and waited while the screen flashed through a few changes.  "Well," she says,"The L.A. County Coroner issued your death certificate 185 years ago."  "Oh."  was all I could think to say.  

No comments: