Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Maestro had a daughter

At the castle, they had told me there was a snake-oil show passing through the next town down the road....they tricked me out in a sort of Robin Hood costume, and suggested that I approach the Maestro of the carnival, or circus, or whatever you might call it, and show him my trick of leaping over buildings.  Well, I did just that, and he hired me on the spot.  We would come into some burgh with a lot of hoopla, with our sword-eaters, and fire-breathers, and dancing girls, and what all....and we'd put on a show in the market square, with the Maestro preaching his snake-oil to beat the band, and the shills and card-sharks working the crowd for all we were worth.  I would leap over buildings and astonish the locals.  In small towns, where there were only small buildings, I would spice up the act by jumping over the townhall carrying a cow, or a pony-cart full of whooping children, something like that.  The Maestro had a pert little daughter, who I kept trying to get next to, since I was still a young buck in those days....but she didn't seem to take much of a shine to me......but one day our caravan was between towns, out in a desolute moor, all low brush and swampland, when hundreds of foul trolls popped up out of the ground, it seemed.  They were all around us, and we could see no escape.  The foul troll King jumped up on a fallen log, and yelled that they were going to rob our wagons, steal our mules, roast our men over the coals  and eat them for dinner, and have their perverted way with our women.  Lucia, the Maestro's daughter, screamed "Alas and alack, we are undone and I am troll-bait for certain!"  "Never fear my dear"quoth I.  "Wrap your arms about my neck and hold on for dear life."  She did that, and I grasped her tight as I could, and leapt with all my might into the air.  My strange talent is to leap over whatever tall thing might be about, but in this flat moor the nearest tall thing was the snow-capped mountain range some 25 miles to the North, so up we went, with Lucia screaming the whole bleeding time right into my ear, way up from the caravan, troll host, and all....off we flew over the mountains, and down we went on the other side, down into a deep forest.

No comments: