Sunday, March 29, 2009

Earth Embassy

We got off the freeway and rolled into a nice looking part of town, with big houses behind walls and gates.  We pulled up to one really big looking place, that said Earth Embassy on the arch over the iron gates.  The gates opened and we went up the drive, got out of the car, and went up the steps.  The door was opened for us by a robobutler, wearing black tails.  "Jeeves," said the lady "This is Mr. Dodge, a guest from Earth."  "Welcome, Sir." says Jeeves. We went on into a parlor, and sat down.  Jeeves fetched us brandy and soda.  "Well" says the lady "Let me fill you in a bit here.  I am Madame Wu, the Earth Ambassador to the Stars.  I imagine my story is a little  like your own.  I was with a caravan in the desert of western China, in my tent, around midnight, when a Djin entered and slipped me whole into his magic sack, and spirited me away to Xanadu, where I was sold as a slave in the bazaar.....and after adventures many and various I arrived here in the City.  Those in Authority here in the City determined that I was the first person from Earth to get here, so they made me Earth Ambassador, and fixed me up with this nice Embassy and staff."  "Wow" I said.  "How long ago was this?"  "As near as I have been able to figure it, I was kidnapped around 900 A.D." she stated.  "You have sure held up well for your age." I flattered.  "Thank you, dear boy!" she replied. " The City Health Services are quite excellent, and it's all free."  Later we had a fine dinner, and I was shown to a very comfortable suite, where I easily got a good nights sleep.  In the morning, I took a shower and all....and found a nice suit laid out for me, with shoes that fit just right too...so I looked really spiffy when I went down to breakfast.  The Madame Ambassador made me a proposition as we ate.  "Mr. Dodge" she began "I've been waiting quite a while for somebody else to show up from Earth, so I could take a little time off and attend to family matters.  How would you like to be Earth Ambassador, instead of a deckhand?  I won't be gone all that long I don't think, and the job comes with lots of ..um..perks I guess you'd call it....like you get to be called the Honorable, and you have diplomatic immunity, so you don't have to pay parking tickets, and Jeeves does all the real work, actually.  What do you think?"  she asked.  It all sounded pretty good to me....and, well, the eggs were perfect, and there was even marmalade.

No comments: