Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Jack-the-Leaper

"Well"  said the wizard "Seeing as you were tricked out of your proper reality by some jokester, the Law of Compensation says that now you must have some unusual power or skill in this realm."  "What?" says I.  "The Powers-That-Be won't allow people to be just jerked around willy-nilly, without some sort of recompense....you must have some sort of power we can discover.  Tell me, can you see through that wall?"  he said, pointing at the wall.  I tried, but I could not, and I told him so.  And he asked if I could tell what he was thinking, and I told him I could not.  And he asked me if I knew what was going to happen an hour from now, and I told him I did not know that either.  So we went outside into the court yard, and he told me to try leaping over the tallest tower.  I told him I didn't think I could do that, but he told me to give it a try.  So I took a running start, and jumped.....and went sailing up over the flagpole on top of the tower, and did a neat flip and started back down.....I thought for sure I was going to die, but I landed like a cat outside the castle wall.  The fair-haired boy danced around in circles atop the wall, clapping his hands and singing "Oh Jack-the-Leaper Jack-the-Leaper, fair leaped or' the castle wall!"  He called down to me "Now jump back, Jack!"  So I did, landing lightly by the wizard's side.  He took out a small notebook, and wrote "Discovered power: can leap over tall buildings in a single bound."  My name is really Walter, but the name Jack stuck to me while I was in the Land of Nod.  And my odd talent stood me in good stead many a time, particularly that time when our caravan was surrounded by the troll host......

No comments: