Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Expediting Officier

     An adjunct in a uniform I did not recognize led me down a dimly lit hallway to a door gaurded by two sentries armed with what looked like automatic shotguns.  They presented arms and clicked their heels as they passed us through into the meeting room where half a dozen senior officers and four stone faced civilians of grim demeanor were seated around a large oval table of some dark wood.
     I caught the eye of Admiral Dean near the head of the table, next to a civilian whose name I couldn't remember, but I knew he was somebody high up in the administration.  The adjunct closed the door as he left the room.  The Admiral motioned me to a vacant chair.
     "Gentlemen, this is Officier Tell, of the Expediting Branch." he introduces me to the gathering....
     " He will be our man on the ground in Port Martini."
    Oh great, I'm going to be the man on the ground again.  Sometimes I get tired of getting knocked down and picking myself up off the ground in some godforsaken frontier port with little or no support for law and order and all kinds of nasty hostiles kicking around.  But if something needs expediting....well, that's our job description...
     "Let's get up to speed and review the facts..."says the Admiral....



     I don't like the facts very much after they are laid out....it seems that the Establishment has moved a squadron of heavy cruisers into the Zone.....all the while denying that plain fact through diplomatic channels.....so Regional Authority on our side is asking for Treaty Forces to move some heavy units into the area quick like.....and the Buggers, as usual, are acting up.....zipping around I their fast- boats doing what they can to confuse and confound both sides.....so I'm getting on a hyper frigate in the morning and blasting off to Port Martini again, to expedite the situation......last time I was out there
I almost got killed....and almost got married.....and had a lot to drink.....and in the end they gave me a Special Service Medal and promised me six months vacation.....that I never got.....

     Aboard the hyper frigate Belle Chance six days out from Fleet Deep Sector.....

No comments: