Saturday, April 4, 2009

When I left Earth in 1967...

The only computers I'd seen were things about the size of a diesel locomotive that worked off of huge tape reels and stacks of punched paper cards.  In the Land of Nod, things worked by magic...don't ask me to explain....on the star-galleon, things worked by a weird mix of seeming magic, and what you call technology I suppose.  I'd used the flip-phone aboard ship, to fit into the routine....that was how you received your orders, or reported broken things to the right person.  In 1967, telephones were hefty plastic things that were hard-wired to the wall.  So Jeeves has been bringing me up to speed, as it were, computer-wise.  Jeeves can in fact see my thoughts, as I was wondering that night....he knows when I want a brandy and soda before I ask for it, but waits for the verbal instruction, because that's the default setup at the Embassy.  City Systems, and hence, Authority does know what you are thinking, and the Thought Police will act if Authority deems it in order.  The upside to this mind-link is that I can access all kinds of stuff just by closing my eyes and doing a mental login.  So I've been finding out some interesting history, for one thing.  Like, Los Angeles isn't there anymore, it fell into the Pacific along with almost everything within fifty miles of the coast back in 2142.  No more Disneyland, or Chavez Ravine, or.....well, nevermind.  Jeeves is now reading my mind, fetching the brandy, and the siphon.

No comments: