Sunday, September 19, 2010

two years subjective

was how long it took to cruise back out from machine space to Port Martini.....the Company paid us off, and even threw in a little bonus pay for the things we had been forced to confront down there.....the scary things. I'm sure the Company made enough profit on that voyage, to kick us something extra.....so I had money in the bank for once, and I decided to just take some time off and spend a bit of it. I found a housekeeping cabin on the edge of downtown, in a canyon with a little stream of water running by the footpath, and a force-field overhead, to hold in the air. Management even had some flowers and grass here and there, and birds! Real nice. If you followed the path a ways, there was a pond, with fish. If you wanted to, you could rent a pole and try to catch a fish. I never did that, it just seems too strange....for a spaceman.
An elevator went up to the top of the canyon rim, where there was a beer-garden in a bubble on the surface, under the stars. From there you could see over to the docking zones.....watch the ships come and go, and drink a beer, eat some onion rings. Sally worked there behind the counter.... she was mostly human I guess, but not Natural enough to vote I don't think....I never really asked her about that in the three months or so I rented the cabin....it didn't seem to matter much.....we had a pretty good time for a while....

No comments: