Tuesday, April 27, 2010

perfect ribs through space and time

I had a long conversation in the wee small hours with a fellow from Mars who represented the Perfect Rib franchise.....he told me he was going to leave the ship at the planet humans called Coyote....because the natives looked like coyotes pretty much....well, sort of like Wily Coyote....they walked on two legs and had hands, and could talk.
"Of course you might guess" he explained to me..."These folk like tasty meaty things to eat, with bones...."
"I can see that, I reckon..." I replied.
"So what we are doing is going out there with our genetic templates for Perfect Rib production, and we are going to go into some mall food courts. We already have a contract with a major player in that market." he informed me.
"Ribs?" I wondered...."Like baby back ribs, pork ribs?"
"Precisely!" he said...."You know what they are like, you even have them on your menu here at your grill."
And so we did....both as a bar item and as a dinner item with two sides .....
"You see" the rib-agent explained to me..."The Coyote market is huge....if we can get only 10% of the lunch traffic in the food courts we already have contracts with, we're talking about megabucks.....roughly ....the GNP of Bolivia, somewhere in that ball-park."
"Huh?" I flabbergasted.....
"Yeh!" he enthused ....."with the currency rates and all, it's a sure fire thing!"
The clock on the wall said it was three in the morning, human-deck time.....I sipped at my watered whiskey, and considered the implications of the interstellar perfect rib business.....and decided that it's all a matter of scale.....with us, humanity, being very small scale....compared to them, the alien cultures.....could we live long and prosper like fleas on big dogs?

No comments: