Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Astrogator Warrant

I was in my third year in the Space Cadet program at Mars Tech when we got to the course on Practical Applications of Membrane Resonance Mechanics.....I did a sleep-download of the text, and woke up feeling somewhat bemused, and happier than usual, for some reason. I usually enjoy a good breakfast, but I skipped it that morning and went instead directly to the Meditation Plaza, where I sat down on a bench near a tea bush in bloom, and fell into an alpha state, as we had been trained to do......and then it happened.....an epiphany! My eyes were open, unfocused into middle distance, and all at once it felt like a silver spike had been driven from a point above the middle of my forehead, down to the soft pallet near the olfactory zone. And I SAW IT ALL.
Of course the whole Campus is constantly scanned by quantum sensors to detect this sort of thing, so I was still just sitting there staring at nothing and everything when the Proctors arrived with their verification tools.....to make a long story short, my experience was duly recorded as a B.F.E. a bona fide ephiphany!
We had all read since around the seventh grade about brain quantum mechanics, the theory of it.....but very few people ever actually get it......some 12 percent of the population, according to the latest figures.....
So my life changed quickly in a big way.....I left for Advanced Academy within the month, and began the sensitivity courses. I was found to rate in the eighty-second percentile as regards perfection of perception through space-time......I was offered a Warrant as Astrogator Junior Grade in the Treaty Forces, and so here I am now, on the bridge of a starship, powering towards a resonance point where our universe touches the next one over.....what a cool job.

No comments: